This is Shadow Techs latest version of the HOG Saddle with some improvements from the original design. The MOD7 is currently a standard issue item in the US Marine Corps and other various Special Operations Units.
List of improvements:
1. Opens 1/4" wider than original model. (2 11/16" Open, 1 1/2" Closed)
2. Incorporates a retention button screw to prevent unintentional disassembly in the field
3. Weighs less than 16 ounces
4. Added cut-outs to the base of the HOG Saddle. These narrow slots better integrate with tripod heads or QR plates that have anti-rotation video pins.
MOD7 HOG Saddle Specs:
- CNC machined from a solid block of aluminium
- Black oxide stainless steel bolt and guide rods
- Hard anodised finish (a resilient surface which serves as an excellent base coat for custom camouflage paint)
- 1/4-20 stainless steel mounting threads and 3/8-16 back up threads
- CNC machined torque knob assembly with retention button screw to prevent disassembly in the field (opens 1/4" wider than previous model)
- Stainless steel noise dampening tension spring
- 1/4 inch thick, recessed urethane pads specifically engineered to absorb rifle recoil and reduce muzzle jump
- Anti-rotation slots to accept tripod QD plates that have video pins
- Superior resistance to corrosion
- Weight: 15.8oz
What’s the difference between the HOG & PIG Saddle? ( Pig Saddle also available from Sporting Services here.)
First off, both products function the same…
- One-handed operation
- 1/4” and 3/8” thread mounting options
- Same recoil reducing urethane pads
Since the HOG Saddle MOD7 is a military issued item, many design features are overbuilt to enhance the product’s performance regarding durability, corrosion resistance, and long service life.
The PIG Saddle is the same product but the manufacturing process has been greatly streamlined. Performance and affordability are the goals of this product. Not necessarily surviving a war-zone.
There are three main differences of the HOG & PIG Saddle:
Torque knobs- *Both the HOG & PIG Saddle now have CNC machined aluminium knobs. (The original PIG Saddle used to come standard with a reinforced polymer knob)
Weight- The HOG is 15.8 oz and the PIG is 1.4lbs
Construction- The HOG is CNC machined out of aluminium and stainless steel. The PIG is stamped and machined steel.
Side-by-side the HOG Saddle is visibly the premium product. A lot more time and energy goes into its construction.
A clear difference in performance at the rifle range can’t really be noticed until shooting at targets past 600 yards. The HOG Saddle starts to feel a little more stable beyond these distances.
If you are a hunter who wants a dependable tripod rifle rest at a fair price, then the PIG Saddle will suit you well.
If you are military, law enforcement, or a long-range shooter, then the MOD7 HOG Saddle is recommended.